The educational project “Green Schools” aims to develop environmental education and awareness in Belarus. The network of educational institutions involved in the project is constantly growing. Already more than 300 educational institutions work under the educational program of “Green Schools” throughout Belarus.
The educational project “Green Schools” works in six areas. Only the first five are addressed to preschool education institutions:
- Biodiversity – the study of the species diversity of plants and animals in the natural environment of an educational institution and ways to increase it.
- Energy saving – studying the structure of energy consumption at home and in an educational institution and ways to reduce it.
- Water conservation – studying the directions of water use in the educational institution and at home and ways to reduce its use.
- Waste management – analysis of sources of waste generation, determination of ways to minimize, recycle and reuse.
- Information and environmental events – actions, exhibitions, competitions, environmental initiatives, environmental education for the local population.
- Ambient air quality – study of the degree of air pollution and the implementation of actions to minimize air pollution in the microdistrict of the educational institution.
According to the Regulation on the implementation of the educational project “Green Schools”, educational institutions and other institutions and organizations participating in the implementation of the “Green Schools” project submit reports on the results of their work within the framework of the project for consideration by the resource centers of the “Green Schools”. In addition, these reports should be published for general access on the websites of the institutions.
At the scheduled meeting of the Project Coordinating Council, on the basis of the reports provided, it was decided to award the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree Green Schools diplomas to 98 institutions. Some educational institutions received the status of a “Green School” for the first time. The largest number of diplomas will go to Brest and Grodno regions – 23 and 20 diplomas, respectively. The rest of the diplomas were distributed as follows: Vitebsk region – 15, Minsk region – 14, Gomel region – 12; Mogilev region – 10, Minsk – 4. About a third of all diplomas will be received by institutions of preschool education. The graduation ceremony will take place in October.
Information on how to become a participant in the project, as well as other documents, programs and project manuals – can be found on the website of the Republican Center for Ecology and Local History, the Republican Resource Center of the educational project “Green Schools”.
The educational project “Green Schools” is supported by the Project “Civic Engagement in Environmental Monitoring and Improving Environmental Management at the Local Level”, funded by the European Union and implemented by the UN Development Program in partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus and with the support of the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus.